Amazing World
Public | 15-Feb-2024

Tantallon Castle ruins, East Lothian, Scotland

Tantallon was built in the mid 14th century by William Douglas, 1st Earl of Douglas. It was passed to his illegitimate son, George Douglas, later created Earl of Angus, and despite several sieges, it remained the property of his descendants for much of its history. It was besieged by King James IV in 1491, and again by his successor James V in 1527 when extensive damage was done. Tantallon saw action in the First Bishops' War in 1639, and again during Oliver Cromwell's invasion of Scotland in 1651, when it was once more severely damaged. It was sold by the Marquis of Douglas in 1699 to Hew Dalrymple, Lord North Berwick and the ruin now remain in the care of Historic Environment Scotland.
Follow Us Google News
View (18,537) | Like (0) | Comments (0)
Like Comment
Comment Box
Sponsor

For Ads

+01828-684595

www.fewlook.com

Fewlook is a world wide social media platform

Install FewLook Android Application

PlayStore Free Download Available

Install Now